Today I want to talk about the best wineries in Northern Virginia you can visit with your family this December.
If you are planning a family holiday or a road trip, then you need to visit wineries in Northern Virginia.
As you enter the area, you will notice there are quite a number of vineyards and wineries.
This is because the area is attractive to tourists and has a fertile environment that is conducive to grape farming.
The area is well known for:
- Birthday and bachelorette parties
- Girls gateway
- Wine tasting
- Outdoor adventures
.. and many more fun events!
So to make your life easier, I have selected the most popular wineries you can visit and have fun.
A quick note:
If you are planning to stay more than one day, I would recommend you check out the below local hotels where you can visit.
- Red Fox Inn & Tavern.
- Homewood Suites by Hilton.
- Landsdown Resort & Spa.
How To Get To Northern Virginia Wineries
The area is almost one hour from Washington DC.
And since most wineries are spread throughout the area, I’d suggest you plan for a longer getaway so that you can have fun and explore the countryside.
Secondly, I’d suggest you book a winery tour which will take you to the best wineries you want to visit.
Virginia has good wineries you can visit with your family or friends.
And if you would like to visit many wineries in Virginia, you need to visit Middleburg city which has the most wineries located around the area.
Without further adieu…
Let’s jump right in.
Best Wineries In Northern Virginia To Visit
Breaux Vineyards is located between the foothills of the blue ridge and short hill mountains.
The winery was opened to the public in April 1997 and since then it has won significant accolades both locally and internationally.
The vineyard is known for:
- hosting live music
Below are things you should know before you visit the winery:
- No parties without pre-approval
- Reservation cancellation must be done 48hours before the actual visit
- No outside alcohol is permitted
- The business days are Saturdays and Sundays from Noon to 5 pm.
- Outside food is allowed
- Dogs are allowed
- Their popular choice of wine is Jennifer Jambalaya
- It’s a great place for a wine getaway
- It’s a magnificent way to enjoy the Virginia countryside.
- They have a nice selection of crackers and meats to eat before wine tasting.
- You can sit on their sit on the covered patio.
- It has a beautiful setting that keeps you enjoying their great wine.
- They have a wide range of wines to choose from e.g. Cabernet Franc, Nebbiolo, and Sauvignon Blanc.
- The place is busy on Saturdays afternoon
Sunset Hills Vineyard is one of the wineries that is well known for producing the highest quality wines in the northern Virginia region.
The winemaking facility was opened to the public in November 2008.
The establishment, just like Breaux Vineyards, has won many awards both locally and internationally. Sunset Hills Vineyard is the best winery in Loudoun County, Virginia.
The winery is known for:
- Hosting live music
- Offering baked brie with honey and bread
- Special events
- making quality wines
What you need to know before you visit the wine-making facility:
- Large groups are allowed.
- Children’s birthday parties are not allowed.
- Kids are welcome to visit the winery but under supervision from their parents or guardians.
- Elizabeth Sedlins who is their tasting room manager cum hostess is a friendly and approachable staff.
- Their tasting room is made of nice timber which makes it looks attractive.
- Most California families love to visit the place on Saturdays afternoon.
Chrysalis Wine is located on the east coast and they are well known for specializing in unique Spanish and French varietals and the native Virginia grape, Norton.
Jennifer McCloud is the proud owner of Chrysalis Vineyards.
Before you visit Chrysalis Wine, you need to know the below guidelines:
- Outside food and beverages are not allowed
- A Group of more than 8 people should call before you visit
- Since they are not allowing outside food, they have an in-house menu of delicious food where you can order and enjoy your meal.
Pearmund Cellars is one of the best wineries in northern Virginia. The winery is close to Washington DC.
They make their wine from Virginia-grown fruits such as Petit Verdot, Viognier, and many more.
Pearmund Cellars is known for:
- Making wide varieties of wine
- Having many areas to sit and enjoy your wine with friends
- Using the latest innovation for making quality wines
Below are things to know before you visit the winery:
- They allow outside food
- You can bring your chairs
- Dogs allowed on a leash
- Weddings and private events allowed
If you are from Washington DC, it will only take an hour to drive to Delaplane Cellars winery.
The winery is located in the heart of Northern Virginia.
The winery produces premium wine grown in a select handful of managed vineyards in Virginia.
At Delaplane Cellars, they offer:
- Both outdoor and indoor seating- with spectacular views of their vineyards
- Self-guided tasting of four wines for $15.
Other details to know before you visit are:
- No outside alcohol
- The property sets high on a hill overlooking the countryside
- Children are welcome at their picnic tables and chairs
- They have an exceptional team who will guide you through your experience at every level.
- They love playing music during the busy days
The winery is also among the best wineries in Loudoun County, Virginia.
They deliver high-quality wines and provide the best experience and wine tasting.
Before you plan for your visit, you need to know the below things:
- Group of 6 and above, you will need to book for reservation online through their reservation page.
- Groups of 10+ must prepay for tastings
- You can book an event
- Burrata, tomatoes, and bread are perfect snacks for wine tasting.
- Their staff members are friendly, and they will make your visit worth the experience.
7. Slater Run
Slater Run was started by Christopher and Kiernan (Slater) Patusky, and Kiernan’s parents Bob and Alice Slater in 2010.
The winery specializes in making premium Virginia wines in a dry French style.
They allow food trucks on the reservation.
The estate runs on a solar-powered system that has 12+ acres of vines, including:
- Pinot Gris
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Cabernet Franc
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Petit Verdot.
RDV Vineyards was founded by Rutger de Vink who got inspired by two great winemaking regions.
Their tasting salon does not allow walk-ins or parties larger than 4. You will have to call them for a private space reservation.
Below is their wine tasting experience:
- Their staff will do a quick visit to their vineyards
- You will be shown the state of the winery
- You will enjoy a glass of Champagne
Additionally, they don’t allow:
- Outside food
- Birthday cakes and picnics
If you want to discover the beauty of Twin oaks tavern winery, then you will be at the right place.
On Sundays and Saturdays, they normally host live music at the winery through the seasons.
As you plan your visit, you can bring along your friends, kids, and a dog.
Their setting is designed to have fabulous picnics and private events.
If you want to have the best country experience, then you need to visit the Bluemont vineyard.
Bluemont is a good place where you can take your family for picnics and outdoor adventures.
The vineyard was established in 2007 and they are currently growing over ten varieties of grapes, including Viognier, Norton, and Cabernet Franc.
In addition to the above, it’s a great place where you can have photo sessions, weddings, and celebrations.
Below are important things to note:
- Their ranch chicken flatbread is tasty
- You receive table service with an experienced staff member
- Their crab dip is very good
- They serve to light appetizers
- The property owns a brewery that is close to its facility
Fox Meadow Winery is located on 50 acres of beautiful mountain property Blue Mountain near Linden, Virginia.
The establishment was founded by Dan and Cheryl Mortland, along with their son Bob Mortland.
What you need to know:
- Picnics are allowed
- Outside food allowed
12. 8 Chains North
8 Chains North is a classic winery that is loved by so many people, especially family members and large groups of people.
In fact its one of the best wineries for weddings in Northern Virginia
The winery provides:
- Tasting room
- Extensive outdoor seating
- A dog park
- Private spaces for hosting events and celebrations. (Reservations are required for 9 or more people. Parties of 25+ require a special event rental.)
A few things to note:
- Great place for rehearsal dinner.
- Lovely place for wedding anniversaries.
- Great staff to work with especially Elly who goes beyond his limits to assist.
13. Boxwood Winery
Boxwood winery was founded by John Kent Cooke who had an ambition of making premium wines in Virginia estate.
The property produces premium red & white wines in the Bordeaux tradition.
Below are things you need to know:
- Their summer board includes a charcuterie board and five wine tasting each.
- Outside alcohol is not permitted.
- All buses must have reservations
- If you are more than 6 you need to make a pre-reservation.
The winery property opened to the public in 2012 and its focus is on crafting fine Virginia wines.
The winery is adjacent to the Manassas battlefield park and it has some interesting Civil War artifacts.
The establishment is among the closest wineries to Washing DC. It’s a great place where you can escape from the hustles and bustles.
It’s a great place where you can have fun and relax with your family and enjoy their delicious Virginia wine.
They are the largest operating farm in Fairfax county and they produce the highest quality wines from their Virginia grapes.
Below are their favorite 2019 wines:
- Club Cuvée Blanc
- Cabernet Franc Reserve
- Lilly’s Viognier
Below are things that are not allowed:
- Outside beverages (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)
15. Chateau O’Brien
Chateau O’Brien was founded by Howard O’Brien and the area is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Northern Virginia.
The winery has earned a positive reputation for producing hand-crafted wines of distinction.
Howard O’Brien grows his grapes, including:
- Cabernet Franc
- Petit Verdot
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- … and their world-renowned Tannat.
Below are things to know before you visit:
- The property is open to both public and VIPs.
- Walk-ins are accepted but they encourage you to make reservations.
- You can celebrate your wedding or your preferred celebrations.
If you want to experience the beautiful scenic views of the Blue Mountains foothill, then you need to visit Hillsborough.
They are known for producing high-quality crafted beers brewed with the finest ingredients and unparalleled atmosphere.
Hillsborough is a family-owned business whose passion is to make the best wine, beers, and grapes in Virginia.
If you want to taste their award-winning wines, then you can taste them in their testing room.
What I like about them is their monthly event where they offer celebrations to their customers.
Things to know before are:
- They offer different wine-tasting flights.
- Their white merlot is delicious.
- They offer an assortment of curated artisanal crackers, cheeses, charcuterie, chocolates, and soft drinks for purchase consider rentals in their Trellis area Groups of more than 12ppl, consider in Wine & Beer Garden.
Granite Heights winery was founded by Luke and Toni Kilyk.
The vineyard is currently about 12 acres with each acre having 2000 vines per acre.
The unique thing about the winery is that you don’t need to make a reservation during their open days.
Few things you need to know:
- No pets allowed
- It has limited rooms available for use
- They have gift cards redeemable only at their property
Stone Tower Winery is a family-owned business that was founded by Mike & Kristi Huber.
Their main goal is to produce world-class wines handcrafted from their estate vines. If you have been to Napa wineries, you’ll enjoy the Stone tower winery.
Below are things to know:
- No outside food
- Adults only (21+)
- Maximum groups of 6
- It’s family-friendly
- Picnics are not permitted
- They make nice and delicious bbq for lunch
- Leashed dogs are welcome
- No reservation needed
Now I want to hear from you.
What do you think of this list?
Or maybe I missed one of your favorite best wineries in Northern Virginia.
Either way, let me know by leaving a comment below.