When I got engaged to my wife, my first thought of travel destination was Maui, Hawaii.
So if you are planning out your travel itinerary, please make sure you include Maui.
Probably you are asking yourself: Where is Maui?
Maui is one of the largest and most beautiful islands in the state of Hawaii.
The island is known for having the best beaches, waterfalls, beautiful sceneries for couples on honeymoon, surfing, Snorkeling with turtles, whale watching, and hiking.
When I visited the area in early February with my wife, we found lots of activities you can engage with, and many of them are free from walking along the best beaches to hiking in the bamboo rainforest.
In today’s guide, I will share the top-rated things to do in Maui that can make your travel experience unforgettable.
If you are a couple looking for a romantic gateway to explore love, you’ll love this guide.
Before we deep dive into the fun things, you can do in Maui. Let’s look at some of the tips you can use to stay within your budget:
- Enjoy free entertainment at Lahaina Cannery
- Choose a hotel that provides a free snorkel for rentals.
- Take advantage of late happy hour offered at restaurants
- Buy food at food trucks as most of them are budget-friendly
- If you are a wine enthusiast, buy wine at the local market.
- Use Airbnb or Booking.com to rent an apartment where you can stay and cook food.
- Travel in the off-season to get better hotels and flight rates
- If you are driving, choose hotels that provide free parking.
Let’s talk about the romantic activities you can do in Maui.
1. Watch the Sunrise From the Top of Haleakala
There is nothing enjoyable like watching the sunrise above the clouds. Haleakala is found in the eastern part of Maui. Most people visit Maui just to watch the sunrise above the clouds.
To do this:
- Set up your alarm clock
- Wake up early from your hotel
- To avoid overcrowding, you need to make your reservation in advance.
2. Snorkel at the Beach
Please don’t leave Maui without snorkeling!
You can find tools at rental shops near most of the beaches. If you don’t know how to swim or use the snorkel equipment, I’d encourage you to get some quick lessons. Below are the top places where you can scuba dive and snorkel.
- Honolua bay
- Turtle town (You’ll swim with sea turtles)
- Kapalua bay
- Two Step (you’ll see many fish)
The good thing about snorkeling is that you will see amazing underwater landscapes. And if you’re looking for companies that offer snorkeling as a service, you need to try the below:
- Rectangular Triggerfish
Avoid snorkeling in murky water because you might get come face to face with a shark. Recently a woman from France was attacked by a shark at a beach on Paia Bay in Maui, Hawaii, and was left in a critical situation. Here is the full story.
|Further Snorkeling Reading Resources:|
1. Maui snorkeling guide – Best beaches to visit
2.  Best Snorkeling In Maui – Self-Guided And Boat Tour
3. Go Surfing
Do you want to ride the waves?
If yes, then you need to surf. Below are areas where you can surf with your spouse.
- Honolua Bay
- Ho’okipa Beach Park
People love to surf in Maui because the region experiences a lot of waves.
If you’re a beginner, I’d recommend you check out forks at Maui surf girls who will teach you how to surf and have an amazing experience. Their lessons are held out of Lahaina at Ukumehame beach park.
Don’t end your Maui vacation without surfing.
|Further Surfing Reading Resource:|
1. Where to Stay to Surf on Maui
4. Go Whale Watching
Another romantic activity for couples is whale watching. If you want to have the best experience, I would recommend you book a tour with Maui adventure cruises so that you can see the whales up close.
The best season to watch whales is from November to May. Whale watching is one of the best romantic gateways you can ever experience.
|Further Whale Watching Reading Resources:|
1. Maui Whale Watching Guide: Everything You Need To Know About Spotting The Pacific’s Best Acrobats
2. The Ultimate Guide To Maui Whale Watching
5. Watch Hula Dancers Dancing
Watching hula dancers dancing is the loveliest thing you can experience in Maui.
Hula is a dancing style that originated on the Hawaiian island. Hula dancing comes with a song or a chant played on traditional instruments like guitar.
If you want to take your fun a top-notch higher, I’d recommend you partner with Hawaii Hula Company which will teach you how to Hula.
|Further Hula Reading Resources:|
1. Maui Luaus: 9 Best Hawaiian Luaus on the Island
6. Hike Hand-in-Hand in a Bamboo Forest
If you love walking, then hiking in a bamboo forest is the best thing to do in Maui. Take the Pipiwai hiking trail to the majestic Bamboo Forest.
The Pipiwai is a long Maui’d road to hana. To have the best experience, ensure you get there early since the area is overcrowded. Instead of driving to Hana, you can opt to spend the night in Hana.
|Further Maui Hiking Reading Resources:|
1. Bamboo Forest, Maui: The best guide to hikes on the Road to Hana
2. The Adventurer’s Guide to Maui: Best Maui Hikes, Stays, and More!
3. 15 Best Maui Hikes: A Detailed Guide to Hiking in Maui
7. Book a Budget-Friendly Hotel
When you are planning for your romantic honeymoon or a “Me Moon”, you need to think about accommodation costs.
Most hotels in Maui have different pricing, and some are well known for being too expensive.
Before you book a reservation, you need to factor in the below tips:
Make sure the hotel:
- is clean
- has free parking
- is close to the airport
- has a good ocean view
- has adult pool
- is close to the beach, and they provide beach towels
- is close to town where you can get free shuttles services
- is a walking distance of the shopping center
8. Have a Romantic Dinner on the Beach
There is nothing enjoyable like having a romantic dinner on the beach. The best romantic restaurant you can reserve a private beach dinner is at Wailea Beach Resort.
You will be assigned a personal attendant who will make sure your dinner beach is amazing. Imagine having your secluded oceanfront table.
Besides Wailea Beach resorts, there are other beaches where you can have a romantic dinner beach.
You can try:
- Four seasons of Maui private dinner
- Honolulu beach
- Waikiki beach
- Hyatt Regency
9. Go for Wine Tasting
Wine tasting is another romantic activity you can do with your loved one. Visit the Kula area to have a locally crafted wine.
The winery is well known for offering delicious pineapple sparkling wine and wild hibiscus wine cocktails.
Other areas where you can go for wine tasting are:
10. Visit Maui Beaches
Maui is well known for having golden sand beaches. When celebrating your honeymoon or a “me moon”, visit the Maui beaches and have fun swimming together.
Since Maui has many beaches, I’d recommend you rent a car which you’ll use to drive along the coastline and explore the best beaches to enjoy.
Below are good beaches you can visit:
- D.T. Fleming Beach
- Kaanapali Beach
- Napili Bay Beac
- Waianapanapa State Park
- Palauea Beach
Most people I have met describe the below three beaches as the most dangerous beaches in Maui. It seems the beaches have a super mean undertow that could pull you into the ocean.
|Further Maui Beaches Reading Resources:|
1. 14 Must Visit Beaches On Maui, Hawaii
2. Why You Should Visit Kaanapali Beach Maui For A Relaxing Vacation
3. 13 Best Beaches In Maui To Swim
Bonus: Host a Wedding
Maui is a perfect place to have a wedding. If you are planning to have a romantic wedding, then Maui is the best place to host your wedding.
The reason why Maui is a destination for weddings is that its surrounded by stunning and romantic views.
The Hawaiian island of Maui is a popular destination for weddings which has attracted celebrities and prominent people to host their nuptials.
Recently Christina Haack hosted her second wedding on the Hawaiian island of Maui with her husband Joshua Hall.
We have come to the end of the things to do in Maui for couples. If you’re planning to go on a honeymoon or a romantic getaway, Maui is the best destination to visit.
Maui is an incredible Island that offers bonding moments you’ll love for the rest of your life.
Have you traveled to Maui, Hawaii?
Let us know your experience below.