Fredericksburg, TX is a charming and picturesque city located in the heart of the Texas Hill Country.
Founded in 1846 by German settlers, the town is known for its rich history, unique culture, and stunning natural beauty.
Located about 70 miles west of Austin, Fredericksburg is easily accessible by car and offers visitors a chance to experience the best of Texas.
The town is home to a thriving arts and culture scene, with numerous art galleries, museums, and live music venues. Visitors can also enjoy a wide range of outdoor activities, including hiking, fishing, and kayaking.
One of the main attractions in Fredericksburg is the National Museum of the Pacific War, which offers visitors a chance to learn about the role that the Pacific theater played in World War II.
Other popular attractions include the Fredericksburg Herb Farm, the Enchanted Rock State Natural Area, and the Lyndon B. Johnson State Park and Historic Site.
Fredericksburg is also known for its wine industry and is home to over 50 wineries and tasting rooms.
Visitors can enjoy a variety of wine tours and tastings, as well as a range of dining options that showcase the best of Texas cuisine.
Overall, Fredericksburg, TX offers visitors a unique and memorable experience that combines rich history, vibrant culture, and stunning natural beauty.
Why Fredericksburg, tx is a worthy destination to visit with your family
|Fredericksburg, TX is a charming and picturesque region that offers visitors a unique blend of history, natural beauty, art and culture, outdoor adventure, and relaxation.|
Most visitors to Fredericksburg spend 3-4 days exploring the area. This amount of time allows you to experience the town itself, visit some local wineries, and enjoy some outdoor activities.
However, if you want to fully explore the surrounding area or have a more relaxed pace, you may want to consider staying for 5-7 days or more.
Ultimately, the amount of time you spend in Fredericksburg will depend on your individual preferences and what you want to get out of your trip.
Overall, Fredericksburg, TX is a unique and vibrant region that offers something for everyone, from history buffs to wine enthusiasts to nature lovers.
Below are some tips to help you plan your Fredericksburg, tx trip
- Decide on the best time to visit: Fredericksburg has a mild climate, making it a great destination year-round. However, the spring and fall are the best times to visit when the weather is mild, and the wildflowers and fall foliage are in full bloom.
- Choose your accommodations: Fredericksburg offers a variety of accommodations, including hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, cabins, and vacation rentals. Be sure to book your accommodations in advance, especially during peak season.
- Check for discounts and deals: Be sure to check for discounts and deals on attractions, accommodations, and transportation. Many wineries and attractions offer discounts for groups or for purchasing tickets in advance.
- Research transportation options: Fredericksburg is a small town, and many attractions are within walking distance. However, if you plan to visit the wineries or explore the surrounding Hill Country, you may want to rent a car. Alternatively, you can book a guided tour or take a shuttle service to the wineries.
By following these tips, you can plan a fun and memorable trip to Fredericksburg. Let’s explore the hidden gems and activities you can do in Fredericksburg, TX.
1. Visit Fredericksburg, TX Wineries
Fredericksburg has thriving wineries that have attracted both local and international travelers. Some of the best wineries in Fredericksburg you can visit are:
- Grape Creek Vineyards: Grape Creek Vineyards is one of the most popular wineries in Fredericksburg, and it’s easy to see why. The winery offers a wide variety of wines, beautiful views, and a relaxing atmosphere. You can choose from several tasting options, including a guided wine and cheese pairing.
- Becker Vineyards: Becker Vineyards is a beautiful winery that is known for its award-winning wines. The vineyard is home to over 46 acres of vines and offers a variety of tasting options, including wine and cheese pairings. You can also take a tour of the vineyard and enjoy the beautiful gardens.
- Pedernales Cellars: Pedernales Cellars is a family-owned winery that specializes in Spanish and Rhone-style wines. The winery offers tastings and tours, and you can even take a behind-the-scenes tour to learn more about the winemaking process.
- William Chris Vineyards: William Chris Vineyards is a small, boutique winery that offers a personalized tasting experience. The winery focuses on using sustainable farming practices, and the wines are made from 100% Texas-grown grapes.
- Grape Creek on Main: Grape Creek on Main is a tasting room located in the heart of downtown Fredericksburg. The tasting room offers a selection of wines from Grape Creek Vineyards and is a great place to stop and relax while exploring the town.
These are just a few of the best wineries in Fredericksburg, but there are many others to explore as well. Be sure to do some research and plan your tastings in advance to make the most of your visit.
Since these wineries cannot be visited in a day, I’d recommend you spend 7 days in Fredericksburg so that you can be able to visit the popular wineries.
I’ll also recommend you book professional wine tours that will show you different wineries and vineyards.
Fredericksburg has some of the best wine tours that can make your wine experience memorable and unforgettable.
The well-known wine tours are:
- Texas Wine Tours: Texas Wine Tours is a popular wine tour company that offers guided tours of the local wineries. The tours are led by knowledgeable guides who provide information about the region’s wine history and culture. The company offers both group and private tours, and guests can choose from several tour options, including a vineyard picnic tour and a wine and food pairing tour.
- 290 Wine Shuttle: The 290 Wine Shuttle is a hop-on, hop-off shuttle service that takes visitors to several wineries along the 290 Wine Trail. The shuttle runs on weekends and holidays and allows guests to visit up to 14 wineries at their own pace. Tickets can be purchased in advance, and shuttle pickup is available at several locations in Fredericksburg.
- Fredericksburg Limo & Wine Tours: Fredericksburg Limo & Wine Tours is a luxury transportation and tour company that offers private tours of the local wineries. The company provides transportation in a limousine or luxury SUV and can customize tours to fit guests’ preferences. The company offers several tour options, including a winery and brewery tour and a wine and cheese pairing tour.
- Heart of Texas Wine Tours: Heart of Texas Wine Tours is a family-owned and operated tour company that offers private tours of the local wineries. The tours are led by knowledgeable guides who provide information about the region’s wine history and culture. The company offers several tour options, including a vineyard picnic tour and a wine and food pairing tour.
2. Visit National Museum
From the outlook, Fredericksburg looks like a small town, but when you visit the area, you will be surprised how the town has a lot of things to do. One thing that I’d recommend is to visit its National Museum of the Pacific War.
The museum has a lot of artifacts and unique machinery that were used in World War II battles. If you are a fan of learning history, you need to visit the National Museum of the Pacific War.
Below are a few of the best national museums in Fredericksburg you can explore:
- National Museum of the US Army: The National Museum of the US Army is a museum that tells the story of the US Army from its founding in 1775 to the present day. The museum has an impressive collection of artifacts, exhibits, and interactive displays that showcase the Army’s history and its role in American society.
- Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park: The Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park is a park that preserves the birthplace, childhood home, and ranch of President Lyndon B. Johnson. The park includes several museums and historical sites that offer visitors a glimpse into the life of the 36th President of the United States.
- National Museum of Funeral History: The National Museum of Funeral History is a museum dedicated to the history of funeral service and mourning practices. The museum has a vast collection of funeral artifacts and exhibits, including funeral vehicles, caskets, and urns.
- National Museum of the American GI: The National Museum of the American GI is a museum that honors the service and sacrifice of American soldiers from World War I to the present day. The museum has an extensive collection of military artifacts and exhibits, including tanks, artillery, and uniforms.
3. Visit Grape Town Vineyard
Grape Town Vineyard is a boutique winery located in Fredericksburg, Texas, that specializes in small-batch, handcrafted wines made from Texas-grown grapes.
The winery is situated on a picturesque hilltop with stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
If you’re planning a visit to Grape Town Vineyard, here are a few of the best places to stay in Fredericksburg that are located nearby:
- Gastehaus Schmidt: This lodging company offers a variety of vacation rentals and bed and breakfasts throughout Fredericksburg, many of which are located in close proximity to Grape Town Vineyard.
- The Lodge Above Town Creek: This elegant bed and breakfast is situated in a quiet neighborhood just a short walk from the shops and restaurants of Main Street. It features comfortable guest rooms, a delicious breakfast each morning, and a peaceful outdoor patio.
- Cotton Gin Village: This unique lodging option includes a variety of historic cabins, cottages, and guesthouses, all situated on a tranquil, tree-lined property. It’s located just a short drive from Grape Town Vineyard and offers a peaceful retreat from the hustle and bustle of downtown Fredericksburg.
No matter where you choose to stay in Fredericksburg, a visit to Grape Town Vineyard is a must for anyone who loves great wine and stunning scenery.
4. Visit Rhinory
If you want to have a memory and wild experience, you need to visit Rhinory. Imagine enjoying a glass of wine next to a rhino. Rhinory has a thriving winery that sits on a 55-acre ranch.
They have a special area where you can get close to a rhino while you sip your glass of wine.
What’s unique about Rhinory? They have a rhino caretaker who will make sure you have a memorable experience
- Address: 13112 E US 290 Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- Phone: 830-992-9526
- Website: Rhinory
5. Visit Wine Garage
Have you heard about wine garage? if not, you need to visit the property for an unforgettable experience.
The Wine Garage has a cozy and inviting atmosphere, with rustic decor and comfortable seating.
The wine bar features a rotating selection of wines by the glass or bottle, as well as a variety of wine flights and tasting menus.
The knowledgeable staff is always happy to make recommendations and provide information on the wines.
The Wine Garage is a must-visit destination for wine lovers and anyone looking for a cozy and intimate wine-tasting experience in Fredericksburg.
The Wine Garage is the perfect place to discover new and exciting wines and enjoy a relaxing evening with friends.
- Address: 11602 East US Highway 290 Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- phone: 830-644-2600
- Website: The Wine Garage
6. Visit The Elk Store Winery & Distillery
This is for adults only!
Elk Store Winery & Distillery is a family-owned winery and distillery located in Fredericksburg, Texas.
The winery is known for its award-winning wines and handcrafted spirits, which are made using traditional methods and high-quality ingredients.
Elk Store Winery & Distillery produces a wide variety of wines, including reds, whites, and rosés.
Some of their most popular wines include the Texas Tempranillo, a bold and flavorful red wine, and the Sweet Rosie, a sweet and fruity rosé.
- Address: 327 E MAIN ST. FREDERICKSBURG, TX 78624
- Phone: (830) 997-2665
- Website: Elk Store Winery & Distillery
7. Eat German Cuisine
Fredericksburg has been influenced by the German immigrants who migrated to the town in 1846.
One of the best things to do in Fredericksburg with your family is to look for restaurants that prepare German Cuisine.
Most restaurants in Fredericksburg, make both traditional and modern German cuisine. Below are some of the best restaurants you can try to eat German cuisine.
- Ausländer Biergarten and Restaurant: Ausländer Biergarten and Restaurant is a popular spot for German food and beer in Fredericksburg. The restaurant serves a range of classic German dishes, including schnitzel, bratwurst, and sauerbraten, as well as a variety of German beers on tap.
- Old German Bakery and Restaurant: The Old German Bakery and Restaurant is a family-owned bakery and restaurant that has been serving authentic German cuisine in Fredericksburg for over 30 years. The restaurant serves a range of traditional German dishes, including sausage, sauerkraut, and potato pancakes, as well as a variety of freshly baked bread and pastries.
- Der Lindenbaum: Der Lindenbaum is a German restaurant located in the heart of Fredericksburg’s historic district. The restaurant serves a variety of classic German dishes, including schnitzel, sauerbraten, and rouladen, as well as a range of German beers and wines.
- Otto’s German Bistro: Otto’s German Bistro is a modern German restaurant that combines traditional German dishes with contemporary culinary techniques. The restaurant serves a range of creative and delicious dishes, such as venison schnitzel and beef short rib rouladen, as well as a variety of German beers and wines.
These are just a few of the best places to try German cuisine in Fredericksburg, but there are many others to explore as well.
Be sure to indulge in some classic German fare during your visit to this charming Texas town.
8. Have Breakfast at The Airport Diner
Another memorable experience is having breakfast at The Airport Diner while watching the aircraft take off.
The Airport Diner is situated at the Gillespie County Airport, which makes it a favorite spot among aviation enthusiasts who enjoy watching planes take off and land while they enjoy a meal.
The Airport Diner serves classic American diner fare, including burgers, sandwiches, salads, and breakfast items such as pancakes, omelets, and biscuits and gravy.
The menu also includes a variety of daily specials, as well as a selection of homemade pies and cakes.
One of the standout features of The Airport Diner is its friendly and welcoming atmosphere.
The staff is known for their excellent customer service, and the diner has a cozy and retro feel that harkens back to the golden age of diners.
- Address: 55 Airport Rd Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- Toll-Free: 844-596-2300
- Local: 830-997-9990
- Website: Diner | Hangar Hotel
9. Enjoy Sunset Super at Southold Farm and Cellar
Southold Farm and Cellar was founded in 2011 by Regan and Carey Meador, who were previously based in Long Island, New York.
They relocated to Fredericksburg to pursue their winemaking dreams and have since become a fixture of the local wine scene.
Southold Farm and Cellar is known for their commitment to sustainability and organic farming practices.
They use biodynamic farming techniques, including composting and cover cropping, to maintain the health of their vineyards and the surrounding ecosystem.
One unique reason to visit Southold Farm and Cellar is to enjoy a lovely sunset super. This is a property that is mostly visited by couples because of the romantic atmosphere.
To enjoy the experience, you’ll need to make a reservation first and it’s only available on Fridays and Saturdays this is because they host a small group of guests to enjoy an 8-course dinner paired with wine.
Overall, Southold Farm and Cellar is a unique and innovative winery that is worth a visit for anyone interested in exploring the diverse and exciting wine scene in Fredericksburg.
- Address; 330 Minor Threat Lane Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- Phone: (512) 829-1650
- Website: Southold Farm + Cellar
10. Visit The Hill Country Herb Garden
The Hill Country Herb Garden is a beautiful and fragrant garden located in Fredericksburg, Texas.
The garden features a wide variety of herbs and plants, including culinary herbs, medicinal herbs, and ornamental plants.
Some of the most popular areas of the Hill Country Herb Garden include the
- Culinary Herb Garden, which features a wide variety of herbs used in cooking,
- Medicinal Herb Garden, which showcases herbs used in traditional medicine
- Ad Butterfly Garden, which is home to a variety of butterfly-friendly plants.
The Hill Country Herb Garden also has a gift shop that sells a variety of herbal products, including soaps, teas, and essential oils.
They also offer classes and workshops on topics such as herbal medicine, cooking with herbs, and gardening.
Overall, the Hill Country Herb Garden is a peaceful and educational destination that is perfect for anyone interested in herbs, gardening, or nature.
Whether you’re a seasoned gardener or just starting out, a visit to this beautiful garden is sure to be a delightful experience.
- Address: 405 Whitney St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
- Phone: (830) 997-8615
- Website: Hill Country Herb Garden
Anything I Missed on Things to do in Fredericksburg, TX?
So those are my favorite things to do in Fredericksburg.
And now I’d like to hear from you:
Are there any fun activities to do in Fredericksburg… that didn’t see on the list?
Let me know in the comment box below.